Print this page

The Gasworks Plant (Gazi)

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery

The Gasworks Plant (Gazi)

The Athens Gasworks, or "Gazi", on Pireos Street was built around 1860. The first plant was quite small and was owned by businessman Frangiskos Feraldis.

The plant expanded rapidly, growing into an immense industrial complex. Though its general design mirrors architectural principles seen in similar industrial buildings throughout Europe, modernist decorative elements are also present.

The plant was later sold to the Gas Lighting Company and in 1938 was claimed by the Municipality of Athens, finally ceasing operations in 1984. The area has been extensively remodeled into the present-day Technopolis-Gazi, a venue that hosts cultural events for the municipality.

 

Additional Info

Name: The Gasworks Plant (Gazi)
Area: Gazi
District: Central Athens
Transportation: Metro Blue Line (3): Keramikos Station