The Old Palace, the Hellenic Parliament

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery

The Hellenic ParliamentThe Hellenic Parliament for Syntagma squareThe Hellenic Parliament by night

The imposing, minimalist structure was erected for King Otto between 1836 and 1843 on Boubounistra Hill on the outskirts of the city, near the Acropolis and Lycabettus. Designed by Bavarian architect Gurtner, it served as the Royal Palace until 1909, when it was damaged by fire. It is now home to the Hellenic Parliament.

During the years prior to its final completion, the building frequently served as a luxurious but temporary residence to wealthy and influential Athenians – that is, until the summer of 1843, when the Royal Couple finally occupied it.

After the fires of 1884 and 1909, the royal family moved to Tatoi Palace. The building was put to various uses over the ensuing years, until the government of Εleftherios Venizelos decided to house the Parliament and the Senate here. Extensive restoration work was performed and finally, in 1935, it was officially signed over to Parliament.

After the Metaxas dictatorship, the facility housed various state services, and Parliament eventually resumed meeting here in 1946, interrupted again during the military junta years from 1967 to 1974.

Additional Info

Name: The Old Palace, the Hellenic Parliament
Address: 2, Vas. Sofias St, Athens
District: Central Athens
Phone: (+30) 210 3707000
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Transportation: Metro Red (2) or Blue (3) Line: Syntagma Station

Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Get it on Google play