The Catholic Church of St. Dionysius

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery

After many twists and turns, the Athens Catholic Church was finally erected, at the corner of Panepistimiou and Omirou Streets.

Although the land had been purchased in 1847, and all necessary studies completed by German architect Klenzef, construction did not begin until 1853 and was frequently interrupted due to a lack of funds. In 1858 architect Lysandros Kaftantzoglou resumed the work, suggesting a more modest, simple version be built, based on the original plans.

Employing a more minimalistic approach in tune with current architectural norms (and suppressing the original belfry), the church was soon finished. It only opened in 1865, three years after the fall of King Otto. Further work continued until 1875, when the altar, entrance, archbishop’s residence and other secondary buildings were added.

The vitreaux decorations were made in Munich in the late 19th century. After 1960, extensive renovations were carried out to restore the church to its original form.

Additional Info

Name: The Catholic Church of Ag. Dionysius
Address: 9, Omirou St & Panepistimiou St, Athens
District: Central Athens
Phone: (+30) 210 3623603
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Transportation: Metro Red Line (2): Panepistimio Station

Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Get it on Google play