Parnassos Society Mansion

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery


Built in 1890 from designs by army engineer Iphicrates Kokkidis, the mansion of the Philological Association of Athens, or ‘Parnassus’, in Karytsi Square, was constructed to meet the growing needs of the Association, which had grown significantly since its founding in 1865.

Today, the ground floor comprises an extensive library and bar. The first floor houses an event hall with 550 seats, fine architecture, and superb acoustics. The club’s administrative offices, boardroom, and Kostis Palamas – a smaller venue with 100 seats – are on the mezzanine. The top floor contains the Association’s permanent art collection.

Displayed prominently in one corner of the building’s exterior is a sign informing passers-by that, during the German occupation of 1941–1944, this building was used by the German military court, which sentenced thousands of Greek patriots to death.

 

Additional Info

Name: Parnassos Society Mansion
Address: 8, Agiou Gergiou Karitsi Sq, Athens
District: Central Athens
Phone: (+30) 210 3221917
Transportation: Metro Red (2) or Blue (3) Line: Syntagma Station
Metro Red Line (2): Panepistimio Station

Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Get it on Google play