Old National Press House

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery


Known as the Royal Press House until 1863, this building, constructed between 1834 and 1835, was based on plans by Bavarian architect Hoffer.

Located on Stadiou Street, this was one of the first public buildings of the new capital. Following a minimalist, neo-Hellenic classical theme, the structure originally formed a horseshoe shape, with a small second floor in the middle of the façade that was destroyed by a fire in 1854. Several modifications were made to upgrade the building in 1890, and 15 years later the National Press House moved to its current location on Kapodistriou Street.

To meet the needs of the Athens Court of First Instance, a new floor and a wing with a rear courtyard were added in the 1930s. The Court was based on designs by Phoebos Zoukis, and operated here until the 1970s.

 

Additional Info

Name: Old National Press House
Address: Stadiou St, Athens
District: Central Athens
Transportation: Metro Red Line (2): Panepistimio Station

Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Get it on Google play