Saint Nikolaos Ragavas

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery

Built in the 11th century, the church of Agios Nikolaos Ragavas in Plaka is based on the simple four-aisled, cross-in-square design. The church is topped with a small octagonal dome of the Athenian era and originally belonged to a Byzantine family named Ragavis. The church suffered neglect during the Revolution of 1821, but was eventually rebuilt using its original materials.

The church later underwent modifications that significantly altered its appearance, but during the 1970s it was partially restored to its original condition. Tradition has it that this church’s bell was the first to ring out following the liberation of Athens from German occupation on 12 October, 1944.

 

Additional Info

Name: Agios Nikolaos Ragavas
Address: Prytaneiou & Epiharmou St, Pnyka, Anafiotika
District: Central Athens
Transportation: Metro Red Line (2): Acropoli Station

Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Get it on Google play