The Church of Agia Dynami

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery

Agia Dynami (‘holy power’) is a small church whose origins date back to the 16th century. It was built over the ruins of older structures, perhaps an ancient temple.

This single-aisle, arched basilica was previously administered by the Penteli Monastery. According to local tradition, ammunition was manufactured here during the Revolution of 1821, for the Turks, but also secretly for Greek revolutionaries.

In the 1950s, the cornerstone was repurposed for the construction of the Ministry of Education, an imposing building with huge concrete pillars designed by architect Patroklos Karadinos. The little church quickly found itself surrounded on all sides by the encroaching structures.

 

Additional Info

Name: The Church of Agia Dynami
Address: Mitropoleos 15 & Pentelis St, Plaka
District: Central Athens

Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Get it on Google play