St. Nektarios Monastery

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery


During the first decade of the 20th century, Nektarios, Bishop of Pentapolis, came to Aegina to become a monk. From 1904 to 1907 he restored the old Trinity Monastery, located six kilometres from the city. Entering the monastery in 1908, Nektarios lived there until his death in 1920, and was canonised 40 years later.

Considered a ‘miracle site’, the church attracts thousands of believers throughout the year, but especially on 9 November when the Church commemorates the feast of Saint Nektarios. The monastery’s Catholicon is a majestic church with two towering belfries and distinctive red arches above four rows of windows.

While visiting the church, guests can also see where the saint lived and wrote, as well as the many offerings of the pilgrims.

 

Additional Info

Name: St. Nektarios Monastery
District: Aegina

Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Get it on Google play