Tzistarakis Mosque

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery

The Tzistarakis Mosque

Built in 1759 by the governor Tzistarakis during the second period Ottoman occupation (1689-1821), the Tzistarakis Mosque is one of the few Muslim monuments remaining in Athens.

The limestone used in its construction was rumoured to have been procured from a column from the Olympieion, but research has shown that a column from Hadrian’s Library was the actual source.

The mosque once housed the Museum of Hellenic Folk Art and still serves as an annex for that museum. In 1966, the mosque was partially restored so that Ibn Saud, the exiled former Saudi Arabia monarch, could worship here.

Additional Info

Name: The Tzistarakis Mosque
Address: 1, Areos Str, Athens
District: Central Athens
Transportation: Metro Green (1) or Blue (3) Line: Monastiraki Station

Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Get it on Google play