Hydra History Archives Museum

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery


Located on the eastern side of the port a short distance from the coastguard headquarters, this museum was originally given to the municipality in 1918 and later transferred to the Greek state by local ship owner Gikas Koulouras. The new two-storey facility, built in 1972, was officially opened in 1996 and houses the island’s historical archives.

Maintenance and improvement to the property are also made possible by a contribution from Hydra’s mayor, Dr. Antonios Lignos.

The ground floor houses an extensive library, a memorabilia collection from the Balkan Wars through to World War II, and archival materials. The first floor hosts an exhibition of costumes, weapons and a library, while the second floor documents the area’s key historical events.

One of the more curious items on display is the preserved heart of the great fighter and admiral Andreas Miaoulis.

Additional Info

Name: Hydra History Archives Museum
Area: Hydra
Opening Hours: Daily: 9.00-16:00

Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Get it on Google play