National History Museum - The Old Parliament

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery

Temporarily home to King Otto for two years when Athens was declared capital of the modern Greek state, the Kondostavlos location was closed once the royal couple moved out.

Following the Revolution of 3 September in 1843, the Kondostavlos building housed the Constitutional National Assembly, and for the next 10 years was home to the Parliament and the Senate.

In 1854, when a fire destroyed the building, French architect Florimond Boulanger was assigned to design a new parliament building. Construction began in 1858, but stopped later due to a lack of resources. Work resumed following the ousting of King Otto, and it was finally completed with a revised neoclassical design in 1875.

Until 1935, the building housed the Greek Parliament and the Ministry of Justice. Since its last renovation in 1961, it has also hosted the Historical Museum of Athens.

Additional Info

Name: National History Museum - The Old Parliament
Address: 13, Stadiou Str, Athens
District: Central Athens
Transportation: Metro Red Line (2): Panepistimio Station

Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Get it on Google play