National Observatory of Athens

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery

The National Observatory of Athens was built in 1842 and designed by Theophil Hansen. Initially funded by Georgios Sinas, the observatory is the oldest research foundation on the Balkan Peninsula.

In 1884, the Sinas family ceded the operation and maintenance of the observatory to the Greek state. In 1891, D. Eginitis established a seismology and meteorology network, and organised astronomy, geodynamic and meteorology departments at the observatory.

In its 170 years of operation, the National Observatory of Athens has never stopped developing and expanding, adding greatly to research, science and education.

Today it comprises five institutes and runs astronomical and seismic monitoring stations throughout Greece.

Additional Info

Name: The National Observatory of Athens
Address: Lofos Nymfon, Thission
District: Central Athens
Phone: (+30) 210 3490000
Transportation: Metro Green Line (1): Thissio Station

Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Get it on Google play