The Woodbreaker of Philippotis

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery

The Woodbreaker of Philippotis

Sculpted by Dimitris Philippotis, this masterpiece is displayed in the Zappeion Gardens, opposite Kallimarmaron stadium. Interestingly, though a model of the project was created in 1872, it wasn’t until 1908 that the final sculpture was completed and placed in the gardens.

Born in 1839 on Tinos, an island with a long tradition of sculpture, Dimitrios learned his craft from his father Zacharias. Assisting his father on many of his projects, Dimitrios later studied in Rome before moving to Athens.

His Woodbreaker is not strictly classical and the robustness of this sculpture combined with its graceful lines make it a true masterpiece.

Additional Info

Name: The Woodbreaker of Philippotis
Address: Vas. Konstantinou Ave, Athens
District: Central Athens
Transportation: Metro Red (2) or Blue (3) Line: Syntagma Station

Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Get it on Google play