The Orphanage

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery

Dating from 1828, the orphanage's planning and construction was undertaken by Th. Vallianos, who managed to complete the entire building in less than a year.

The facility’s purpose was not only to house the orphans of the revolution, but also to provide them with vocational training, in areas such as typography, book-binding, shoe-making, sewing and clock-making workshops.

The facility also possessed a small church, the National Conservatory and the National Press among others. After the orphanage was closed in 1894, the building served various uses, including as an asylum for the mentally ill, a quarantine centre and a residence for political prisoners.

Additional Info

Name: The Orphanage
Address: City of Aegina
Area: Aegina

Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Get it on Google play