The Old Chemistry Laboratory

 Add to Wish List

Image Gallery

For more than a century the Chemistry Laboratory and the laboratories of the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics at the University of Athens, have occupied this historic building on Solonos Street.  Built in the late 1870’s, from designs by the famous architect, Ziller, the facility was opened in 1880, the orginal building comprised of a basement, ground floor and the first floor. 

After a destructive fire in 1911 that required extensive repairs, the amphitheatre was built, followed later by the addition of the third floor.  The teaching podium, the seats, and the laboratories in this historic building have seen most of the great scientists of modern Greece. 

On October 12, 1944, the day Athens was liberated from German occupation the experimental radio station of the Physics Laboratory was the first station to transmit the news of freedom. In the recent years, studies have been conducted regarding the full restoration of the university’s historic buildings, in order for them to house the Library, the Science Museum and cultural events halls for the University of Athens.

Additional Info

Name: The Old Chemistry Laboratory
Address: 104, Solonos Str, Athens
District: Central Athens
Transportation: Metro Red Line (2): Panepistimio Station

Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Available on AppStore Get it on Google play